Mi Browser is the default browser that all Xiaomi terminals include. Although it has some cool features, you may not find it comfortable to use. Th
Mi Browser is the default browser that all Xiaomi terminals include. Although it has some cool features, you may not find it comfortable to use.
Therefore, in this guide we are going to show you how to change the default Xiaomi browser. You only have to follow a few steps.
How to change the default browser on Xiaomi
The steps shown below only work for Xiaomi devices that operate via MIUI , the Android-based customization layer. Some terminals, such as the Xiaomi Mi A1, work with pure Android. Hence, they have Chrome as the default browser.
To change the default Xiaomi browser you will have to act as follows:
- Install the browser you want. Make sure you have the latest version.
- Go to the settings or configuration section of your terminal.
Access «Applications» .
- Select “Manage applications” .
- In the new window, look for the 3-dot menu at the top right.
- Open it and click on “Default Applications” .
- Find the “Browser” section . You will see that My Browser is the default.
- The available options will appear. Choose Chrome, Firefox or whatever browser you want.
- From now on, the links you open will run from it. Have you seen how easy?
To reverse the steps or choose another default search engine, just follow the same steps again.
The Xiaomi MIUI browser: why change Mi Browser for Chrome?
There are many functionalities and features to highlight of Mi Browser , the default free browsing app in Xiaomi. Between them:
- Block trackers.
- Remove advertising.
- Save favorite pages.
- Activate data saving mode.
- Browse incognito mode.
- Take full screen captures.
- Manage notifications from your social networks autonomously when you access from the search engine.
But, if it includes such valuable tools as Chrome’s, why do many users choose Chrome as the default on their Xiaomi? The reasons are very diverse, although one of the main ones is its functionality .
Chrome’s market share on mobile devices is over 60%, reaching 70% on computers. It is the favorite software of millions of people around the world. In addition, the settings, display and navigation are more intuitive and natural than with Mi Browser.
Other benefits of Chrome are as follows:
- It is compatible with all web pages and apps.
- It allows to include all Google services in one place (Drive, Maps, YouTube, Gmail, Photos and others).
- It includes a spell checker and a translator.
- Gives access to the internal code of the app for improvements and variations (aimed at developers).
- It has search for audio recognition .
- It supports image search .
- Synchronize your browsing history , bookmarks and more with all your devices.
But this is not all. My Browser has been in the eye of the hurricane for a couple of years due to its security policy . The collection of the data and what it does with it is an issue that worries its users, especially considering that it is a company based in China.
Although you can always uncheck the data collection box, the question is there.
In the end, the choice goes through tastes or needs of the moment, since both are good browsers. It also largely depends on the degree of comfort you are looking for.
Finally, remember that when you use Chrome as default, you will still have My Browser available in the applications menu.