The LG V20 which is the Korean manufacturer’s latest flagship phone, amid rumors of yet another LG G6 phone, has now received the most awaited rooting
The LG V20 which is the Korean manufacturer’s latest flagship phone, amid rumors of yet another LG G6 phone, has now received the most awaited rooting guide. The guide provides us with an exploit to first unlock the bootloader using various patches and batch files, then setup TWRP and ultimately flash the latest SuperSU 2.79 for root access. XDA member me2151 has come up with a DirtySanta Bootloader unlock and Root guide for most of the LG V20 variants including Sprint LS997, Verizon VS995, AT&T H910, Korean F800L. The T-Mobile H918 LG V20 variant has a simple root method as listed below.
Before you proceed, there is something you need to know. This is an exploit and may not prove to be stable with all of the V20 devices. There are some issues with this rooting method which are listed below. Also, international variant H990DS may receive support in the future. Moreover, there is an ongoing one-click root APK project for all LG V20 devices. So you should consider waiting for it or simply proceed with this root method.
– Verizon (VS995)
– Sprint (LS997)
– ATT (H910)
Issues and bugs with this LG V20 Root:
- AM & FM Radio no longer works
- Boot time extended
- No way to revert back to stock (As no KDZ files are available)
- Comfort view does not work on Sprint variant
- Youtube won’t work if you update. Go to apps>youtube and uninstall the update.
- And more.
Download Bootloader Unlock, TWRP, and Root files for LG V20 Sprint/AT&T/Verizon/Korean
- v20-root.zip (Contains bootloader, root & TWRP, batch/sh files )
- Terminal Emulator
- UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.79-SYSTEMMODE.zip (SuperSU v2.78 SR5 or greater is needed)
- LS997-deODEXd-signed.zip for Sprint users only. (Fix’s numerous problems)
- LG USB Drivers → Windows | Mac
- Mirror – LG V20 Bootloader, Root & TWRP files
Disclaimer: Unlocking the bootloader, rooting or installing a custom recovery shall void your device’s warranty. Even though this has been tested on other LG devices, we won’t be responsible for anything that happens. You may lose data, apps, etc. in the process. Hence backup. Reader’s discretion is advised.
How to Unlock Bootloader on LG V20
1. Enable USB Debugging on your device. To do so, go to Settings>About Phone> Tap on the Build Number several times until you get a new Developer Options in theSettings. Open Developer Options and enable USB Debugging from there. Trust the connection by allowing it when you connect it to your PC for the first time.
2. For ADB and Fastboot download the quick ADB and Fastboot Installer from here
3. Enable OEM unlock on your phone. Activating the “Enable OEM unlock” is necessary for the bootloader unlock. To enable OEM unlock, go to Settings >> Developer options and check Enable OEM unlock.
4. Verify your device for compatibility. Also, make sure you have latest device drivers setup on your PC for a better connection. Get it from the official page of your device manufacturer.
5. Make sure you have Terminal emulator app installed on your phone.
Step 1: Make sure you setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC, Mac or Linux machine.
Step 2: Download and transfer all the files from above to your PC or wherever the ADB is installed. Also, extract the “v20-root” folder. Copy twrp-3.0.2-1-us996.img to ADB directory as well.
Step 3: Connect your Android device to the PC and trust the connection- tap Yes on “Always allow from this computer” when you plug in the device into PC for the first time.
For Windows, run the “RUNMEFIRST.bat file and do not close the log window that’s shown. Now, run the “Step1.bat” For Linux/MacOS run the files RUNMEFIRST.sh and Step1.sh.
Note: You may get a permission denied error when you run the above files: Flatland and Flatland64. Ignore it and proceed.
Step 4: Next, you will get a shell prompt on the Step1.bat command window, issue the following commands:
run-as con chmod 0777 /storage/emulated/0/*
Step 5: On your LG V20, launch the Terminal emulator app and enter the following code:
Step 6: You shall receive context=u:r:untrusted_app. If it does not show the untrusted_app context, start over the process.
Step 7: Now issue the following code in the Terminal Emulator:
applypatch /system/bin/atd /storage/emulated/0/dirtysanta
Step 8: Take a look at the RUNMEFIRST dialog. When it tells you to run Step2, run it. On Windows, double-click “Step2.bat” and Linux Step2.sh.
When the Step2.bat file has completed the operation, the bootloader is unlocked. Its time to install TWRP recovery.
How to Install TWRP and Root LG V20 all variants?
Make sure your device’s bootloader is unlocked properly or you may risk brick. Again, go through all the pre-requisites in the above method and connect your device to PC and open a terminal. Download the latest TWRP for your LG V20 from above.
- Now reboot into bootloader:
adb reboot bootloader
- Now flash the TWRP recovery. Run the Step3.bat file. This procedure will help and setup TWRP recovery on your LG V20 and also the working boot.img to fix screen issue. For Linux/MacOS, use file Step3.sh.
- Once TWRP is installed, reboot the device into Android system.
After flashing TWRP unplug the USB cable and pull the battery. Plug battery back in then boot into recovery which should hopefully load TWRP. To boot into recovery, power off your device completely, press and hold Volume Down key + Power key at the same time for a few seconds. You should see a new TWRP logo.
Note: If you get stuck in bootloop or face some crash or force close, get to the source to troubleshoot. Here is the source.
How to Root AT&T/Verizon/Sprint/Korean LG V20?
Flash SuperSU using TWRP (reboot phone and enter recovery mode. hold power, vol up and home) Tap Install and flash.
- Into TWRP recovery, Go to Install and flash SuperSU.
- Go back to Wipe > [Format Data] > Type ?Yes?
- Go back to Wipe > Advanced > Check Dalvik, Data and Cache > Slide to wipe
- Go back to Main menu > Reboot > System
For Sprint users:
- Wipe all data including Dalvik, System, Data and Cache and slide to wipe.
- On Main menu tap Install and flash the LS997-deODEXd-signed.zip and then flash SuperSU.zip
- Tap Reboot to System
Like and share up on social media. For queries, comment down below.